Fall 2012 School Garden Grant Application!
Posted: August 26, 2012
Slow Food First Coast, a non-profit organization that works toward creating a food system that is based on the principles of quality and pleasure, environmental sustainability, and social justice, is offering St. Johns and Duval County elementary teachers the opportunity to receive a school garden kit valued at over $250.
Who can apply? Any currently employed St. Johns and Duval County elementary school teachers.
What will you receive if selected? Your school garden kit will include:
- an easy to assemble and transport (no tools required) 4’ X 8’ container garden raised bed made of recycled plastic
- funds for organic soil, heritage seeds and plant starters
- a school garden guidebook
- lesson plans correlated to Sunshine State Standards, and
- mentoring with Master Gardeners and other teachers who have successfully implemented school gardens in the past
What do you need to do?
- Plant an organic garden during the 2012-2013 school year
- The garden must include food (herbs, vegetables, etc.)
- Have administrative support
- Include plans on integrating the garden into your curriculum
- Use vegetables grown in the garden for a taste experience for your students
- Continue the garden project beyond the current year
- Provide feedback and a portfolio (website, photos, journal entries, etc) at year’s end
- Allow SFFC board members the opportunity to visit the garden and collaborate with you.